Monday, April 29, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge 2013 - Y



For this year’s A-Z Challenge, I have chosen to
highlight authors and their books, that we, in our book club, have read, as a group, separately  or have been recommended by someone in our facebook, Book Club, ‘What to Read Next?’
Only two letter so go so, for today,

Y is for Young, Wm. Paul - The Shack


From Amazon:
Mackenzie Allen Phillips's youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later, in this midst of his great sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change his life forever.

Those of us in our reading group were split on this one. Those who liked this novel, liked it a lot. Those who didn't, really, didn't like it at all. I guess it's one of those novels that speaks to each of us individually, so you'll have to read it, to see what it says to you.

If you'd like to check out or join our facebook, book club, please, select the link,  What to Read Next?

8 comments:

  1. I'm curious if you enjoyed this one or didn't...I read it a few years ago and remember many tears were shed while doing so. As a "newer" Christian at the time, I remember it being enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was one who seemed to get it and liked the book. But 'd love opinions on what others thought. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Haven't seen it or read it, but sounds like it has an overtly Christian message? That would certainly affect the ways people would react to it,

    Rebecca at The Ninja Librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this book we made a few new rules for our club. Not too thick, (we only have 1 month to read any book and we all do have lives). Not too political (obvious reasons, with a diverse group of women)) Not to religious,(same reasons). lol

      Delete
  3. Sounds intriguing. I might have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to hear what you thin, after you do. Check out our on-line book club, What to Read Next?
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Kathy, that this novel prompted the most heated reactions from our book club members! If that was the authors intent, then he most assuredly succeeded.

    Only one to go..... Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit this was not one of my favorites. I felt somewhat mislead when the authors obvious "true" purpose of the book started appearing. However, it did lead to an interesting book club debate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my post!! I love reading your comments. Don't forget to include your link, so I can check out your post, too!