Monday, March 12, 2012

Forcing Spring - March 12, 2012

The temperature on our deck, in the sun, is reading 23 degrees Celsius (that would be about 73 degrees Fahrenheit, for all you Americans), so I just had to think of something to do outside.












All Winter, we have been growing and enjoying fresh herbs from our little indoor garden. So, I thought what can be done, outside, on a fine, almost Spring day such as this?












The dappled willow and dogwood branches, in the left photo, are coming along nicely. The flowering crabapple  and cherry branches, on the right,  are beginning to show signs of life.


But still I felt like getting in the yard on this sunny day. So  I did what seemed like the logical thing and a kind of ritual it has become. 
I burned some grass. This officially marks spring for me.  Don't worry, my fires are not the large untended ones, requiring fire department intervention. They are just the little ones, to burn off excess grasses around a couple of the flower beds.
There is something about seeing the grass burn, as the sun shines on your face with that smell of the burning grass in your nostrils that says Spring.


I wish I'd been a little faster with my camera, because a flock of Canada geese flew over, in their familiar 'V' formation making their way back North again. Their honking encouragement could be heard for several minutes after they were far overhead and gone.




Some if the older irises, were just beginning to poke their tiny green heads through the cold ground. But they're a hearty bunch and will thrive just fine, turning into beautiful yellow or mauve flowers.




 But alas, I had to concede to the truth about the season. The ice is still in the lake out front. Thought, it's gradually succumbing to the overtaking waters and melting sun.

    And the snow is 'still in the woods'. So it will still be awhile before I can get out to do any 'real' gardening. But it was great to spend some time in the sun, listening to the birds and the overhead geese, while I 'puttered' in the yard.
Try as we like, we can not 'force' Spring. She'll arrive on her own time like she does each and every year. 
All we can do is savour each  new sign of her arrival.




Kathy

12 comments:

  1. Loved this post and I love spring:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Claudia for checking out my post. It was indeed a fine day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to get spring here a little earlier! I adore your pink wall -- that should feel like spring all year round!!

    Thanks for a post ~ makes me want to go play in the dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, kachlynda for you lovely response! I like my 'pink' wall too and I especially love Spring. I hope you are now following me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I can almost smell the herb garden from here! The other pictures are definitely filed under "feel good" pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really need to be 'touched' to be smelled, but that burning grass sure smelled like Spring.

      Delete
  6. It was gorgeous here today as well ~ now tomorrow they are calling for a snow storm ~ welcome to Atlantic Canada! lol I love seeing the geese ~ you hear the honking first and I wait to spot them and smile ~ they make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments on my post. All Spring long here in Atlantic Canada it's the same, one day beautiful, one day stormy. but Spring still makes it every year.
      Hearing the geese is a true sign of Spring for sure and they make me smile, too.

      Delete
  7. Kathy, I love all these pictures, they're so beautiful. The forced blooms are so pretty, especially against your walls. It's so nice to see the temperatures finally starting to creep up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much Monica. I'm having a great time trying to 'force' Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful post. It is like spring here in NE Georgia, the fruit trees are all showing flowers. Codoors.mpared to the miserable winter in 2010, this past one was very mild.But I love spring. Going to plant Romaine lettuce tomorrow and have started tomato plants indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anthony...sorry, just found you kind comment now.
      It'll still be awhile before we can plant outside up here in New Brunswick, but we're still enjoying the beautiful weather.

      Delete

Thanks for checking out my post!! I love reading your comments. Don't forget to include your link, so I can check out your post, too!